“Working with Galmont Legal allows me the opportunity to put my knowledge and experience to work on a variety of projects. I can combine my international and business experience to support Fortune 100 companies as they grow, diversify and build partnerships in today’s dynamic global marketplace. In addition, the flexibility of working remotely eliminates the stress of lengthy and time consuming commutes allowing to spend such time in a more productive way including providing Pro-Bono legal services.”
– General Corporate
– Real Estate
– Administrative and Regulatory
– Licensing Law
Areas of Concentration
– Real Estate and Financial Transactions
– Management of Litigation, IP matters and Leases
– M&A, Joint Ventures and Private Equity and Leveraged Buy-Outs
– Licensing, Alliances (domestic and global) and NDAs
– Gerlach Law Limited – Owner
– Katten Muchin Rosenman, LLP – Senior Associate
– Schiff Hardin, LLP – Senior Associate
– Baker & McKenzie – Associate
– Dilworth Paxson, LLP- Of Counsel
– Naka, Huttar & Oldhouser, LLP – Associate
Education & Achievements
– J.D., University of Maryland School of Law
– B.A., cum laude, Towson University
– Maryland Law Review
– Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society
– Publications: Bankruptcy in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland and Section 304 of the United States Bankruptcy Code, Proceedings Ancillary to Foreign Bankruptcy Proceedings. 22 MD. J. INT’L L. & TRADE 81 (1998).
Growing up in the southwestern part of Germany right next to the French border and having been exposed to law through one of his childhood friends, whose father served in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps (JAG Corps), Helmut Gerlach knew very early on that he wanted to practice law. That early window into the intricacy, challenge and consequence of law put him on the path to a global legal career that today spans an impressive range of corporate legal work and international business development and advocacy.
Helmut has negotiated more than 1,000 commercial and retail leases, both domestically and internationally, and served as Franchise Counsel in more than 25 purchase and franchise/license agreements. He has served as managing attorney in complex, multibillion-dollar real estate and financial transactions and played a lead role in helping businesses grow and diversify through multi-jurisdictional and cross-border M&A, joint venture, private equity and leveraged buy-out projects.
Fluent in English and German, Helmut is a successful and seasoned legal advocate who has represented clients on many domestic and international transactions including the negotiation of master, supplier, global alliance, vendor, purchase, distribution licensing, government (FAR), confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements. With 15 years of corporate legal experience, his extensive background also includes compliance, corporate governance, risk mitigation and employment law matters.